Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Will this be ok? (Once Ick contaminated tank?)?

Question:

Will the tank be ok for them? They won't go into it for a week or so.

Answers:

ADDED Glad you're starting your sponge filter in the existing tank. Bleach is okay to use for sterilizing your tank, but with Ich, it really wasn't necessary. Without fish to serve as a host, the parasites will die in a few weeks. But I generally bleach a tank if I've had fish die for unknown reasons. At least I don't have to worry that *something* might still be in the tank that could harm the new fish. Just as long as it's rinsed really well before you put the new fish in to get all the chlorine out..

It should be perfectly safe for them. My fish started getting ick, and I simply put in medicine for it (you can buy it at most local pet stores) and it cleared it up :)

i use to work a petsmart that stuff can be hard to kill

I would rinse the tank again with just plain water 2 make sure that all the bleach is gone, but after that it should be fine.

5. (quick, works, but not the best) is to buy some Safe Start or other nitrifying bacteria product and add it to the tank. This will slow down the stable, long-term cycle and risks a nasty cloudy bacteria bloom, but it is a safe way to do it and add fish quickly.Edit: To the poster who keeps saying you worked at Petco, get your facts right please. This is the second question I have seen you post a wrong and miss-informed answer from. Working in the Petco fish department is nothing to boast about, they don't teach you anything useful. I'm not trying to be mean, I would just hate to see someone actually take some of your wrong advice and kill their fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment