Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What's safer, a bowl or a cycling tank?

Question:

Btw, how much water should i have in my tank? Currently the water box (i think that's what the call it, the top part of the filter) is above the water level. Should i increase the water level?

Answers:

I had this dilemma myself, fell in love with a betta at the store but didn't have the tank setup yet. I went ahead and put it in the uncycled tank. I thought the necessary water changes would be less stressful with a tank, compared to a full water change for a bowl. Plus it's gotta be much better than being in a cup at the store.

If the tank is large enough then I would simply add the fish now and keep a close eye on the water quality. However be prepared to carry out water changes when necessary.

People who do a bowl, are placing aesthetics and/or perceived convenience over the health of the animal, or simply do not know any better due to not taking the time to research their pet before buying.

Bowl water needs treated too. Usually people use betta treater from a pet store, or buy Betta Water. You can also use some bottled water, or if you have a filter on your sink that too. I personally use treated bowls for my bettas (1/2 gallon+) and they are very happy and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment