Friday, September 25, 2009

Has my platy had a baby?

Question:

I have two female platies that i've had for about 3 weeks now and i was changing some of the water today when i saw a tiny black thing swim past really fast. I then lost sight of it. Neither of my two females platies are black so i'm not sure if this was a baby platy or just some food! I haven't seen it again since but there are plenty of places it could be hiding inside my tank! What do baby platies look like and roughly how big are they? Also how will i go about looking after it if i can't even find it? One of my older platies was acting a bit strange last week and kept itself hidden under the filter for a few days which i was told could be a sign of her being pregnant! I don't have any male fish though but i know it's possible she could have been pregnant when i bought her. Any information or advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated! I don't want my baby platy getting eaten :-( Thanks in advance!

Answers:

Good Luck with your platy fry!

They are about a 1 and 1/2 millimeters long and can look grey but not sure about black if it was really fast it is mostly likely a fry ( baby fish) however platys don't give birth to one fish at a time they give birth to dozens, I had the EXACT same situation as you and I just left it in there now he is big enough not to get eat after 1 1/2 months.

yes most of the time they will be prego when u buy them! they can store sperm and get prego over and over even w/o a mate until they use the sperm up! i think like up to 7 times! ne ways u will notice her belly getting big and then all the sudden she be SKINNY! then u know she had babies. some times they eat the babies so having one left in the tank is possible if she ate most of them but u would notice a diff in her size? ye like lots of hiding spots for cover and survival form elders. an dthey eat like 4xs a day of crushed flakes! and may not find it again for awhile but it will prob survive if its there! they eat algea and stuff too

No comments:

Post a Comment