Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Brown Algae Reappearing On My Filter, What Is This?

Question:

Three or four weeks ago I removed my filter because the water flow stopped to a small bit going down the side of the filter (normally the water comes out fast and is propelled farther, and just falls into the water) I took it apart and inside and outside of it there was slippery, brown algae(?) all over it, and even when I took the 3 parts of the intake part out and found the little propeller, that was covered too. I cleaned that off and it did the trick. Now it's happened again and I can see a lot of the brown stuff, I'll clean it again but is there any way to prevent this in the future?

Answers:

Black algae can be a real problem. Expecially since you cannot scrap it off and very few fish will eat it. The only two fish that I know of that will eat the stuff are flying foxes and ottos. However saying that I have tried both fish and neither have worked for me. What I would advise is to get out all the leaves covered in the stuff and hope it stops spreading. If it keep spreading on the plant just take the whole thing out and get rid of it cause once it takes hold its a nightmare to get rid off. In the past people have advised me to tear the tank down clean everything and start again but I think this is a bit drastic. Hope this helps

I would put your fish in another holding tank and change the water as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment